Tuesday 17 September 2013

Responses from Tutekawa Wyllie

Cultural diversity begins at home. Understanding myself helps me to try to understand others. At the heart is my culture of which language is the cornerstone. I try to understand others as I understand myself The GDC effort to appreciating culture diversity starts with tangata whenua. This is a bicultural nation which provides the foundation upon which cultural diversity should build a future. From there the building blocks I have worked and visited many countries, particularly Asia. I try to learn some basic language and customs of each. I took a basic course in Mandarin language and learn that trying is appreciated . Maori and Asian cultures place the family at the heart of the culture There will always be challenges in a community that essentially converses in English only. The global village we live in requires us all to learn at least one other language. My experience is Maori should speak their own language and learn at least the basics of Mandarin The biggest opportunities are in business built upon the fundamentals of family culture and succession planning. Money is simply a means to an end. There is no end as long as there is family

1 comment:

  1. 4.5 / 10 Some admirable Attitudes and Personal Philosophy ... It is Great That You See the Need to Improve Your/Our Skills and Knowledge as Part of the Way Forward ..................................... However , Tutekawa ,You Left Most of The Key Questions unAnswered ... We were Looking For Your Vision , and Your Practical Ideas for Improving Our Gisborne Community ... And Integrating Folk From Other Nations into the District .

    ReplyDelete